I've recently been looking through my closet and
realizing ALOT has to go! What do you recommend as the 10 best items every woman
should have in her closet?? I am a casual girl with a relaxed style.
Dear Plain Rita,
Thanks for your question, This was a great challenge for me; since I am much more of a maximalist I want to shout ridiculous things like sequined jumpsuit! fur lined booties! overly embroidered floor length coat!
Ha, but luckily I've taken a breath and compiled this list of classic staples that every girl actually needs in her wardrobe. You are, however, getting 11 for the price of 10; it was difficult to narrow down. :) Tell me what you think!
1. A Solid Base: invest in a couple great fitting bras and some spanks ( unless you are seventeen or a professional athlete - everyone looks and feels better in a hot dress when they've got spanks as a base).
2. The anti-LBD. What is this obsession with a "little black dress"? Everyone else is going to be wearing one so I recommend the anti-LBD. Buy a classic fitting dress in a bold color or pattern you really love. It's a simple way to make a statement in a sea of black.
3. A well tailored Blazer - (and I'm not talking about one half of your interview suit). This should be something you can just throw on over jeans and voila! you are put together. Choose a color or pattern (NOT grey) and only go with black if you can label your style "bad-ass". Zara always has great options including their hilariously named "jogging blazer" which is super soft and comfortable.
4. A great pair of clean-line Pumps (this means no peep-toe and no platform) . I would say black leather is the safest option - but I don't even own that - my go-tos are bright blue. Pick a height that works for your style and lifestyle. They don't need to be teetering to be sexy - 2.75 in. is all you really need.
5. A Sweater Dress will save you 7 months out of the year ( ha well depending on where you live). Something moderately light that can be layered or unlayered as the weather dictates is best. Pick one that is cut loosely - my favorite from my collection is angora and wool, cut like a sack, and has a fabulous grandmammy floral print - I wear it on my fattest days, my lazy days, AND when I want to look great.
6. A fantastic pair of Jeans. For years I didn't wear jeans because pants shopping blows. But if and when you do find the perfect cut, stretch, dye, and rise for you - never never let go. Buy a few pairs and horde them. Also, I hear boot-cut is coming back, but not for me. Skinny all the way. Always.
7. A great pair of Boots - I don't know how people live without boots. Every girl must have a pair (or four or five). I wore only knee-high riders for about ten years, but now I live in my pointed western style ankle-booties (I own them in brown leather and black suede). Choose ones that fit your wardrobe be it slouchy-cowboy, prim-equestrian, sleek-urban, etc.
8. An Infinity Scarf does all the styling for you. Throw it on and your clothes instantly become an ensemble. It arranges itself and you can never have too many. But if you buy just one make it a warm, almost taupe grey (or as they are calling it in the interior design world "greige"). This color swings in all directions and can be worn with almost every color combination.
9. A Pencil Skirt is a super sexy and classy article of clothing. Its highly appropriate for work, going out, and being awesome. It looks great on everyone no matter your waist to hip ratio - to find the right one for your body make sure it fits snugly at your natural waist (wherever that may be) and is slim along the curve to your hip without odd bunching or stretching. The cut from hip to knee is more by preference, but I like mine at a better-not-drop-something, hope-its-not-a-walk-up snugness.
10. A high quality Handbag. A quality leather bag, especially one with structure, can elevate an casual outfit to something special. A handbag is worn everyday with every outfit; it should be an investment. Don't let a great outfit be dragged down by an old, worn bag. (However! Do not buy a bag which outstrips your normal wardrobe by leaps and bounds, that just looks stupid. )
11. Bonus! Everyone should own something totally Unique; something totally you. This can be thrifted or heirloom, but its with these one-of-a-kind pieces that no one else could acquire if they tried, that personal style blossoms. Heirloom pieces are lovely because they are worn with pride and filled with your family's history, and vintage pieces come from an infinite resource for awesomeness. Go with your gut and go bold.