Great Jewelry is important to developing your style and kicking ass. By having even a small collection of varied pieces to go to, you can polish your outfits to a high shine.
Your aunt's costume jewelry, thrift store finds, high end real-deal, and f21 trendy pieces are all the same in my book. Its about pretty baubles to make yourself shiny; fake it till you make it. I like pieces with real weight that add to the composition of an ensemble. None of this delicate stuff for me, I want to be physically burdened by my jewels ;)
If you are just starting to get interested in building a jewelry collection here is a list of essential pieces which will cover your bases and get you feeling comfortable adding the proverbial cherry on top.
- A Big Statement Necklace (or 5 or 6) - This can be metal, glass, gemstone, resin, cloth or plastic, paper-mache etc. Find something you are naturally attracted to be it geometric, floral, ethnic, or classic. Just go for it. This is where to get some color into your jewelry repertoire, you'll most likely be naturally drawn to colors that dominate your closet, but you can also choose something opposing to really pop. Learn about color theory here! Big is best (at least in my book). You're going to find these pieces mostly in princess length (17-19 inch) which is a great size for most necklines. J.Crew and Anthropologie really know what they're doing here, but Etsy is also a great place to find reasonably priced pieces.
- Pearls - I like long lariat strands which can be doubled up. This doesn't have to be expensive. You can get real pearls without spending a fortune ( my favorite strands were bought for 10 euros outside of Paris ). The price goes up by how round and perfect each pearl is, but honestly I like the rough organic feel of wonky pearls. Its probably some grand philosophical comparison to our own flawed human condition... or maybe I'm just cheap. White pearls are classic and classy, lavender and pink toned pearls are lovely and ultra feminine, go for black pearls for a sophisticated edge.
- A Great Watch - This is something I recommend putting some money into. A big gold watch never goes out of style, it elevates every outfit - even just jeans and a T. Plus, its so useful! Look at that! The time! right on your fucking wrist! Though it seem cliche - really Michael Kors is a great place to start. Next stop for me - Movado!
- Pendant Necklace (commensurate with the size of your personality ;). Pendants are so elegant and one of my favorite styles of necklace because of how they elongate the body. The longer the strand the further the pendant draws the eye. I recommend one that hits below the bust (opera length or longer).
- Heirlooms (!) - Everyone should own something that comes from a previous generation. It's a wonderful way to feel connected to your family- not to mention super cool. Even costume jewelry was built with more intention and detail in the olden days so if you haven't any generous elders go ahead and buy something for yourself (and your heirs!).
- Gifted - So when strangers compliment you can say "Oh this? My boyfriend/girlfiend/whoever loves me!" - Ladies - a great way to get your man to buy you jewelry is: 1. pick it out 2.buy him something of equal value 3. give it to him - inducing feelings of guilt and anxiety 4. offer your assistance by letting him buy you chosen item from #1.
- Everyday Rings - Rings are a great place to add sentimental pieces that you can wear everyday. I always wear a pinkie diamond band and an emerald cut smokey quartz, given to me by my lover, thank you very much. Still however impatiently waiting for that OTHER ring. Since rings are on your hands they don't affect the composition of an outfit (unlike necklaces and earrings). This means you can wear the same ones everyday. They say you can mix metals nowadays, but I really don't think so*. It's sloppy. Unless you're twelve you probably already know if you're a silver or gold kind of girl. Rose gold can mix well with either depending on the tone. *this is just for items in proximity. Go ahead and wear silver necklace/earrings with gold rings. No one is going to notice that.